- Number: Policy-007
- Status: voted
- Author: Pieter Hintjens
- Date: 11 April, 2007
This policy defines the operational model and default policies for Digistan regional chapters. This policy may be redrafted as a more formal specification of the rights and obligations of regional chapters at a later date.
A national chapter exists to:
- Interface with regional governments, businesses, and press
- Create a regional communications infrastructure for activists
- Translate materials into regional languages
- Research and report on regional news and initiatives
- Help with regional open-standards projects
A regional chapter can cover any appropriate geographic area including:
- A country (e.g. Belgium)
- A community of countries (e.g. EU)
- A linguistic region within one country or across multiple countries (e.g. Francophone)
All regional chapters have a name which is a short convenient identifier of the region being covered.
The default structure of a regional chapter is:
- A public list called namegro.natsigid|cilbup-#gro.natsigid|cilbup-
- A private list called firstname.lastname@example.org
- A public wiki called name.digistan.org
- Optionally, a private wiki on name.gro.natsigid|etavirp#gro.natsigid|etavirp
These policies govern the regional chapter email lists:
- All members of the private list are also on the public list.
- All news reports and public discussions happen on the public list.
- Membership of the private list is moderated and by invitation only.
These policies govern the legal relationship between Digistan.org and a chapter (which may eventually be a legal entity):
- A chapter may not register a URL containing the word "Digistan" unless it is registered with Digistan.org as its owner.
- A chapter many not file a trademark using the word "Digistan".
- A chapter may not enter into any agreements, or commit to any obligations, in the name of Digistan.
- A chapter may speak for itself and its members, and for Digistan with respect to a regional mandate granted by the Digistan board.
- A chapter is expected to work with the Digistan policies (and help improve them where necessary).
- A chapter will only be created on demand.
- A chapter will be kept in existence only so long as it is active.